About the Instructor
Lisa Ganora began studying traditional Western herbalism in the ‘80s. Later, she lived and wildcrafted in the Appalachians where she studied with folk healers and created herbal products to sell as she travelled the festival circuit with her herb booth. After practicing as a community herbalist for a decade, Lisa retuned to college and graduated from UNCA summa cum laude with multiple awards in biology and chemistry. After graduation she focused on studying pharmacognosy and phytochemistry.
In addition to directing the Colorado School of Clinical Herbalism since 2012 and managing Elderberry’s(a Rocky Mountain herb farm and education center in Paonia, CO), Lisa has also served as Adjunct Professor of Pharmacognosy at the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, and has lectured and taught classes at numerous schools and conferences around the U.S. She is the author of Herbal Constituents, a popular textbook on herbal phytochemistry for natural health practitioners, which is used by schools and universities worldwide.
Lisa is available for consulting in medicinal plant chemistry, synergy, and formulation for the herbal and natural products industries.
Understanding Herbal Constituents & Plant Chemistry is now available in ten online modules. Each module is three weeks long and can be taken independently one at a time, or as the full program.
Learn the molecular influences behind solubility: polarity, molecular size, matrix effects, heat, pH, etc. Choosing optimal solvents and solvent systems for herbal extractions. Details for making potent water extractions (standard infusions, decoctions, etc.); hydroethanolic extractions (macerations, fresh-herb tinctures), oil extractions (infused oils, salves).
Module 3 Details:
- The influence of polarity on solubility
- Solubility is a continuum, not either/or
- Like Dissolves Like principle
- Aglycone vs. glycosides: influences on solubility
- Water extractions: principles, calculation, procedures for standard infusions & decoctions
- Hydroethanolic extractions: principles, calculation, procedures for dried herb macerations, fresh herb tincturing
- Oil extractions: principles, calculation, procedures for botanical infused oils, botanical salves
This three week module includes:
- Three 2-hour recorded webinars with Lisa Ganora
- Two live Q & A sessions with Lisa Ganora
- Six videos (from live classes)
- One extended PowerPoint presentation
- Six detailed handouts on herbal pharmacy
- Six detailed study guides
- Three quizzes
- Three assignments
- Access to live Office Hours & Discussion Forum
- Resource- Course Powerpoint for all Sections- Solubility and Extractions
- Resource- Solubility I- Influence of Polarity
- Video- Solubility I- Influence of Polarity (25:18)
- Resource- Solubility II- Alcohol, Glycerol, Honey
- Video- Solubility II- Alcohol, Glycerol, Honey (29:39)
- Handout- Water Extractions
- Resource- Solubility III- Supercritical CO2, Hydroethanolic Solvents
- Video- Solubility III- Supercritical CO2, Hydroethanolic Solvents (28:00)
- Resource- Solubility IV- Other Influences on Solubility
- Video- Solubility IV- Other Influences on Solubility (24:42)
- Handout- Hydroethanolic Extraction - Maceration
- Handout- Hydroethanolic-Maceration Worksheet
- Handout- Hydroethanolic-Fresh-Herb
- Handout- Solubility-EtOH-Percentages-Constituents