About the Instructor
Originally from Texas, Michael has honed his ethno-botanical and herbal knowledge through years of study with elders in Mexico, Guatemala and California. He earned his BA in Latin American Studies with a minor in Spanish at Alliant International University, Mexico City and has been studying plant medicine and clinical herbalism for over twenty five years.
This 4-week online interactive course is a ‘must’ for healthcare professionals, herbalists, first responders, bodyworkers and caregivers. Understanding how to communicate with clients regarding health concerns is important as a professional and also to establish trust with a client! Bilingual health care is an essential skill, both within the US and in other developing nations.
*students should have a basic knowledge of Spanish grammar and foundation language skills before diving in!
This 4-week course will cover:
- Essential vocabulary for the client and practitioner
- Common diseases and illnesses: an introduction
- The human body: basic body parts and systems
- Descriptives for the client: level and location of the pain, chief complaints, etc.
Recorded course materials will be released every Tuesday, and will follow with a live interactive 90 minute practice session each week to review vocabulary, pronunciation, and includes class exercises to hone student understanding of Spanish language in a clinical environment.
Clinical Spanish 1-Basic is followed by an intermediate and advanced clinical module for each of the pathophysiology modules, one body system at a time. Each intermediate & advanced module will go into depth on critical material surrounding each body system, and will include the clinician’s cultural awareness guide when talking with children, elders about culturally sensitive issues, an herbal materia medica in Spanish, anatomy and physiology, vocabulary specific to body system pathologies and weekly live practice sessions.
A passing grade of 70% in Clinical Spanish 1-Basic is necessary before beginning the intermediate and advanced modules for each body system.
- Clinical Spanish: Step One!
- Clinical Spanish - READ AND START HERE
- Live Class Link / Schedule
- Study Guide 1 - Basic Anatomy
- Video 1.1 - Anatomy 1 - Basic Body Parts
- Slideshow 1.1 - Anatomy 1 - Basic Body Parts
- Video 1.2- BCP Diseases and Conditions
- Live Video 1 - Clinical Spanish Introduction
- Video 1.1B - Greetings, Formalities and Courtesies
- Video 1.1C - Las Partes del Cuerpo Humano - General
- Video 1.1D - Las Partes de la cabeza
- Video 1.1E - Las Partes de las manos y los pies
- Video 1.1F - Enfermedades y condiciones
- Video 1.1G - Ejemplos prácticos 1
- Video- Plantas Medicinales de Las Zonas Aridas
- Video- Plantas-Medicinales de los Mercados
- Resource- Plantas Medicinales de Las Zonas Aridas
- Resource- Plantas Medicinales de los Mercados
- Resource- Plantas Medicinales de la Zona Tropical
- Video- Plantas de la Zona Tropical parte uno
- Video- Plantas de la Zona Tropical parte dos
- Video- Enfermedades Espirituales
- Video- Virtual Tour- Los Tianguis
- Conversaciones en la clínica de hierbas